Chocolate and Gold Coins

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Value of Quick Thinking

Often times I only think of the perfect response to a question hours later, when it does me no good. But occasionally it comes to me right away.

Yesterday, my little boy was practicing his piano lessons. He wanted to quit and do something else but I wanted him to practice the last tune one last time: “Tomorrow is your piano class. Practice that tune again. You want to show your piano teacher that you can play it perfectly.” I only meant “perfect” in the sense that he should be able the play it with obvious errors, not that I expected him to be Mozart.

My wife took offense to that statement. She angrily whispered: “ What do you mean ‘perfect?’ Don’t put pressure on him. What do you do that is ‘perfect?’”

I was in the doghouse now. I needed to think quickly – and I did!

“I married the perfect wife.”

My wife considered that answer for a brief moment as if she might have appreciated that reply.

“Name one other thing you can do perfectly."

“I gave the perfect response to the previous question.”

“Ha, ha. Very funny.”

But then she let the subject drop. I breathed a sigh of relief.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home