Chocolate and Gold Coins

Friday, June 03, 2005

Self-Help Guru Advises Us to Ignore the Experts

Self-help guru Steve Pavlina has some advice for those who would look to others for help:

Often advice doesn’t work because it’s bad advice.

He advises us to avoid following the advice of the so-called experts:

We’re all different. What works for one person or even a group of people doesn’t always translate well to every individual.

He warns of a particular form of bad advice: affirmations:

As an example I’ve read many books that recommend daily affirmations. Maybe those do work for some people, but I’ve found that for me they’re an utter waste of time. Even when I believed they’d work, the results were lousy.

So repeat this ten times:
1. I will not make any daily affirmations.
2. I will not make any daily affirmations.
3. I will not make any daily affirmations.
4. I will not make any daily affirmations.
5. I will not make any daily affirmations.
6. I will not make any daily affirmations.
7. I will not make any daily affirmations.
8. I will not make any daily affirmations.
9. I will not make any daily affirmations.
10. I will not make any daily affirmations.

Steve tells us to ignore what the so-called experts say:

Don’t worry so much about what the so-called experts say. Decades from now their advice will probably be proven wrong anyway.

That sounds like great advice Steve! You certainly are the expert.

But, um, should we ignore this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home