Chocolate and Gold Coins

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

The Importance of Paying Close Attention to Conversation

My wife was telling me how some woman came up to her and said, “You look familiar. Have we met before?”

This has happened before and, no, they had never met. My wife wondered what was it about her that made others seem to think that they had met her before.

“Maybe she had gone to India before and she thought that all India woman looked alike.”

“Maybe,” I said.

“Or maybe I just have a common-looking face.”

“Yeah.”

“You’re supposed to say, ‘No, dear, you have a extraordinary face.’”

I stepped into this one. Now I needed to find my way out. “You have a very beautiful face dear.”

“Too late, you missed your chance. You can’t sweet-talk your way out of this.”

“Your face is common in the sense that it represents the ideal of beauty that every woman aspires to and every man would hope for.”

“That boat has set sail, dear.”

10 Comments:

  • like they say - 'am I looking fat?' correct response - NO - vehemently and immediately. no looking - if you have to look at her and say no, then that is just as bad as saying yes.

    and this shd also teach you not to believe that the safest thing to do is to agree with whatever the wife says.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 PM  

  • Hi Charu
    Indeed. But I still feel entrapped!

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 5:37 AM  

  • Tsk. Tsk. One would have thought men learn. But no, they go and do the same thing over and over again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 AM  

  • What's wrong with calling something "common"? After all, common sense ain't too bad is it? And not many people possess it.

    By Blogger gawker, at 7:59 AM  

  • Hi Ph and Gawker
    Ph: Yes, well but then I give my wife so many compliments and this is all she remembers.

    Gawker: Well that's true. Unusual and pretty? I don't think so. A pretty face lacks unusual features that would mar beauty. Think about a big nose or a huge chin.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 8:22 AM  

  • or still better always say umm hmm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 PM  

  • Wisdom.

    Lessons for a bachelor like me.

    Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

  • Hi Desi Nole and Truman

    Desi Nole: What? that would be even worse!

    Truman: When I was dating my wife, I did pay more attention. So complacency has set in, no doubt.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 10:54 AM  

  • Hi Vikram
    It would be fun, but I suspect that I would not come off quite as well in my wife's blog.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 12:45 PM  

  • Michael,

    Trust me, say umm hmmm and shake your head like you agree, you will be in good shape. But remember, this will not last too long, as she will discover that you are not listening. So keep chaning and modifying your statement, use the ocassional honey and sweety as a spoiler.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home