Chocolate and Gold Coins

Monday, February 20, 2006

1YAT: Happy Birthday Dad

One year ago, I wrote Happy Birthday Dad:
I saw that the date today is February 20th and I remembered that today was a great American’s birthday, but I couldn’t recall whose. Was it George Washington’s birthday, or Abraham Lincoln’s? Then it hit me: "Oh it’s my father’s birthday, and I forgot to send a card." It happens each year.

My father certainly qualifies as a great American. He fought with distinction during WWII. He did cutting-edge scientific research on boundary layer behavior and heat ablation for the infant space program. He created numerous inventions for the various companies and organizations that employed him. And when he came home from a long day’s work, we worked several more hours at home creating gadgets for improving our quality of life. He invented one of the very first automatic sprinkler systems more than fifty years ago. He never profited from it, he made it just for our home.

Anyway, I just wanted to show my appreciation to this great American, my Dear Old Dad (DOD). And Dad, I wonder what the Post Office did with your card?

By an odd coincidence, it happens to be my father's birthday again this year on this day. And even more odd, the post office seems to have lost my card to my father again this year.

My father's health is not as good as it was last year. This year, we are not asking him to travel to spend time with us during my son's spring break. We'll have to make a trip to Seattle some time.

4 Comments:

  • Michael,

    Your dad sounds like quite a guy. (As an economist, though, I will note that if your dad had sold a few of those gadgets he would have been an even greater American.) I hope he lives to miss many birthday cards in the future.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:26 PM  

  • Your dad is in Seattle??


    Let me know if you're visiting.

    By Blogger Sunil, at 1:47 PM  

  • Hi Sunil and Abel
    Sunil: Of course. I would never dream of visiting Seattle without trying to get in touch with you.

    Abel: Thanks for the kind words on behalf of my father. He is quite a guy. He did okay by the economist measure as well by the way. He worked so hard in life, he made me tired just to look at him.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 3:08 PM  

  • Michael ,

    Great post. Reminded me of my dad's birthday. Its tomorrow , 23rd Feb. But I'm not sure he would appreciate anybody wishing him or reminding him about the event because it means he is now 56 and only 2 years away from the dreaded retirement.......

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home