Chocolate and Gold Coins

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Meeting the Parents

Here is a very interesting situation:

Well, I'm off for a few days' vacation to Orlando, Florida with Patrix. We'll be visiting Disneyworld, Universal Studios and the Kennedy Space center. We'll be joined by his brother and parents.

I'm rather frazzled at the prospect of meeting his Mom and Dad. I've never been in this situation of "meeting the parents". Oh well, they sound nice enough, and I'm sure the trip will go off okay, but I can’t help feeling...wary.

This is from “Exploring the Infinite Abyss”, Ashweeta’s blog.

Consider this: both Patrix and Ash write blogs that are sometime very personal, and Patrix’s blog contains 100 of pictures of Ash. Obviously, Patrix’s parents have perused both blogs with interest. What do you say to strangers who know you too well for comfort?

It’s a little like being a celebrity, I guess.

My advice:

This always works: include several sentences of the sort "Now I know where Patrix gets his [fill in the blank] from."
The fill in the blank could be "intelligence" "good looks" "wit" "charm" whatever. Also it doesn't hurt to complement them on raising their son to be a very good person.

Of course, you need to be a little bit subtle about this. If you say it all in the first 5 minutes, they know you are just buttering them up.


I will say that you can expect the following question from the parents: “What do you see in our son?”

Have a good answer for that one.

My wife stumbled a bit with that one but her charm was so enormous that my parents soon fell in love with her. Now they love her more than they love me. Familiarity breeds contempt I suppose.

3 Comments:

  • Hi Michael,
    I followed your link to say a friendly hello at your blog, and was taken aback to see familiar words staring back at me from the screen ! :)

    To tell you the truth, I don't think his parents read anything other than his blog... but my parents do read his blog with great interest, so he'll probably face the 'celebrity' problem !

    It sure is nice having everyone chipping in with their experiences and suggestions. By the way, what was it like for you ..meeting 'her' family ?

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

  • having one's parents read one's blog is the worst nightmare :)
    and Michael, "What do you see in our son?" sounds too much like a job interview - so why do you think you want this job :))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM  

  • Hi Ash, Patrix, and Charu
    Ash and Patrix: good luck and have fun.
    Ash: I didn't meet her family until the day before the wedding. By that time, I didn't have to worry that they wouldn't accept me because, hey, it's too late. I think her father wasn't too thrilled but her mother was so nice. We have gotten along fine. I wish we could visit them more often. We haven't been to India in 10 years (not my choice).

    Charu: job interview! Yes - that's exactly right! You are interviewing for a position in the family.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home