Chocolate and Gold Coins

Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Sandwich Guy

“Hi, howmayihelpyou?”
“I would like a regular veggie sandwich.”
“On wheat or white bread?”
“Wheat bread.”
“Do you want have it here or to go?”
“Here.”
“Would you like everything on it?”
“Everything except mushrooms.”
“Do you want lettuce and guacamole?”
“I don’t want guacamole, I just want lettuce.”

I order the same sandwich from the same fellow almost every week for months now. The questions never change. The answers never change.

Either the sandwich guy is a very slow learner or he has a remarkable lack of presumption.

3 Comments:

  • Have you ever tried asking for "the usual"?

    The downside of this is that if you ever WANT to order something different you may be stuck with the usual. When I used to order the same thing for breakfast every day, the deli employees would just start making it for me as soon as they saw me walk in the door.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 PM  

  • Hi Half Sigma
    Today I got the sandwich and when we got to the guacamole question he said "Just lettuce and no guacamole?" so he's learning. But then he packaged the sandwich to go when I said "for here" and I have always said "for here". If I said "the usual" who know what I would get. I'm the one who's not presumptutous.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 10:05 PM  

  • "Either the sandwich guy is a very slow learner or he has a remarkable lack of presumption."

    ........or the concept of "knowing your customer" never reached him. Or...he doesn't like change in his life, and loves his little questions :-)

    By Blogger Sunil, at 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home