Chocolate and Gold Coins

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Things My Son Hears From His Parents

Things my son hears from his parents:

  1. Eat slowly. This is not a race.

  2. The only important thing to be first in is to be first in manners.

  3. Listen to your Mother. And when she asks you a question, please answer it.

  4. Eat your vegetables. You cannot just eat a diet of cake and pizza.

  5. Be careful when you eat. You are always spilling everything on your clothes.

  6. Why don't you go outside and play? All you want to do is sit around and watch T.V.


The thing about children is: they resemble their parents in many ways. All of the faults you had as a kid will be there in your children. And when you tell your child: "Eat your vegetables," it is hard not to notice the irony that you were told the same thing and ignored the same thing when you were a child.

Of course, my wife would say, "At least I changed when I grew up."

I'll be back to full-time blogging on Monday, (hopefully).

6 Comments:

  • This reminded me of something funny. Back home in India, almost all the moms used to yell at us kids " Finish all your rice ; there are children starving in Somalia ".

    And my friend spotted this on a T-shirt " Finish all your vodka ; there are people thirsty in Russia "

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

  • Eat your vegetables. You cannot just eat a diet of cake and pizza.

    You can't?????!

    By Blogger Sunil, at 4:36 PM  

  • Actually, I think most of what I will teach my kids is exactly what I was taught by my parents because I now look back and realize if I hadnt been forced to do this thing, it would not have been good for me. For example, my folks forced me to attend music classes, instilled an appreciation of music in me, although forcefully, and now I see it was probably the best thing they ever did for me.

    By Blogger gawker, at 10:21 PM  

  • All the faults that we had will be there in our kids.

    Michael, thats hard for me to digest. If my son is even 10% as unruly as what me and my brother were, growing up, then I'm in big big trouble.

    Sourin

    By Blogger Sourin Rao, at 4:47 AM  

  • Michael,

    I think you are right and no wonder my parents are eager the day I'll have a kid.

    It will be sweet revenge for them;-)

    No wonder they say that grandparents and grandchildren make the best of friends, they have common enemies you see;-)

    It's a vicious circle of life:-)

    By Blogger Minal, at 1:28 AM  

  • Hi Ash, Sunil, Gawker, Sourin, and Minal:
    Ash: I like that. :)

    Sunil: Actually, my son pretty much does eat a diet of cake and pizza (thank to a very indulgant mother). But I cannot recommend it.

    Gawker: No doubt, your parents advice and guidance was good. But it is hard not to feel funny telling your kids to do things you wouldn't have done when you were a kid. I never ate my veggies.

    Sourin: Maybe your children will take after your wife?

    Minal: Well said. :)

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home