Chocolate and Gold Coins

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

1YAT: Stuck Working on Saturday Evening, Mumbai

Stuck Working on Saturday Evening, Mumbai :


"Sniff," she sniffed into her handkerchief. "Why are you standing over me? Sit down." This was a friend, and I wasn't standing over her. I was leaning on the door frame of her tiny office.

The room was airless, and bloody silent. The stale smell meant the air conditioner hadn't been switched on for a while. Muffled music pumped away from speakers outside.

"My glasses broke, "she said, squinting at a laptop. "Just like that. One glass just popped out and landed on the table." She half-smiled and sniffled.

"You not well?"

"Just sick. But I have so much work to do." Her eyes were half open now, slowly giving in to the misery of her situation. "Calling up people, handling complaints about the trainers, the helpers in the restrooms, taking care of promotions. I wish I had your job."


This is an excerpt from a nice post from Rahul Bhatia. I added a bit of commentary here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home