Chocolate and Gold Coins

Thursday, March 16, 2006

9A.M., CIA Headquarters, Langley, Virginia

“Your cover’s blown Higgins. You know that don’t you?”

“It’ll blow over.”

“No it won’t. This Sabnis fellow’s smart. He pieced it all together. Northern Virginia location, spends time gathering info, unnaturally interested in cricket. It all fits.”

“Wait, I have an idea. What if I play along with the gag?”

“Play along?”

“Yeah, I’ll just make a joke about it. I’ll pretend that I really am a CIA analyst.”

“What do you mean pretend? You are a CIA analyst. And you can’t admit you are analyst and still work here.”

“You see, that’s the point. They don’t really know, do they? They’re just suspicious. But if I “admit” that I really am an analyst in a lighthearted manner, everyone will know that I’m just joking because I couldn’t admit to being a real analyst and still be an analyst, could I? They will then assume that I’m a just a joker. And I’ll have the perfect cover.”

“You know, Higgins...that’s so stupid its might just work!”

11 Comments:

  • Wow! We seem to be having the makings of a great crossover movie plot, here!

    By Blogger Vee Cee, at 6:04 PM  

  • Absolutely loved this post!

    It is so Catch 22-ish. In Joseph Heller's classic, Yossarian cannot get out of the airforce because you have to be proven mad for the airforce to discharge you. But the moment you say you are mad, you are trying to get out of the airforce and therefore it proves that you are sane enough to value your life and therefore will fly more missions.

    Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

    In the same vein...
    You cannot be a CIA officer once someone suspects you. But if you admit to being one, you are no longer suspected and therefore can still be a CIA officer. :)

    Like Yossarian I am deeply moved by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

  • Are you an agent or an analyst? A lot depends on that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM  

  • Hi VC
    Sounds interesting, can't wait to see it.

    Hi Chetan:
    I am glad you liked it.

    Hi Ravikiran
    The above scene was actually transcribed from a Hindi movie (translated into English). Such details are less important to the plot than a logician like yourself would want.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 8:10 PM  

  • From a Hindi movie? That's what you want us to think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

  • After reading Gaurav's post, I couldn't wait to see what you would come up with it! And I am not disappointed ;)

    By Blogger Shruthi, at 11:50 PM  

  • LOL! now the word verification and cryptic passwords make sense

    By Blogger Ravages/CC, at 12:37 AM  

  • M. ,

    I wasted enough time on Clancy novels in my youth to know the difference between a CIA Analyst and a CIA Agent. There is nothing seceretive about being a CIA analyst - they usually remain overground , typical boring average joes........ Agents on the other hand do all the James Bond stuff.

    My guess is you are some professor type in real life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 AM  

  • This devious plan would have fooled everyone except for one obsessive blogger who checks the ip of everyone who logs on to his blog.

    By Blogger gawker, at 8:33 AM  

  • do they allow you to blog from Langley? or are you forced to do it surreptitiously at home?

    By Blogger Smith, at 1:25 AM  

  • I think I see a spin off for Alias here..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home