Chocolate and Gold Coins

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Best Cupcake Ever?

My son had the day off today. He spent half the day with Mommy and half the day with Daddy.

Mommy was in a generous mood and said he could have a snack. And, quite fortunately for me, I was able to take him the Starbucks and get him that treat.

He chose the double chocolate fudge cupcake. It looked like pure chocolate overload – lacking the balance necessary to make it a truly delicious cake.

I asked him how he liked it. “Is it one of the ten best cupcakes you ever had?”

He nodded yes with a mouthful of cake and a huge smile. He swallowed and announced, “It’s the best cupcake ever!”

The best cupcake ever?” I thought. The cynic in me wonders if that could possibly be.

For seven-year-olds, the combination of youth and short memory guarantees that the “best ever” is always just around the corner – and that is an awesome thing.

Once you are old and cynical, you’ll never know that feeling again.

3 Comments:

  • How typical of an economist. First you go tell us there is no such thing as a free lunch. Now this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • Hi Ph
    Well, remember, I didn't get to eat the cupcake. So maybe I was just jealous.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 5:53 AM  

  • I think this is great! I say "this is the best ever" about most everything I am enjoying. I guess I haven't matured much since age 7. ah, well. It's kind of fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home