Chocolate and Gold Coins

Friday, September 02, 2005

Lucky Duck

I came home yesterday and my seven-year-old son says, “Guess what Daddy, I’m a lucky duck.” He then shows me the new ball he got. It’s just a simple rubber ball, but he thought it was cool because he can see though it and in distorts images in an interesting way.

Later, my wife took him to the library to collect his prize. He read at least 15 books over the summer (including three Harry Potters) and he received a booklet of valuable coupons. In the car, he told my wife that, “I’m a lucky duck because I got a book of coupons. But I’m really a lucky duck because I have you and Daddy.”

When my wife told this story to my parents, who are here for a visit, my mother explained: “At the store, he said he was a lucky duck because he now has a new ball. I told him that he was a lucky duck, because you have a wonderful mother and father.”

He said: “Yes, but if they weren’t nice, I would just live with you and Grandpa.”

Perhaps it is a bit humbling to know that none of us are indispensable, but, indeed, he is a lucky duck.

9 Comments:

  • The wisest truths spoken by the innocent ?
    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM  

  • Funny:-)

    By Blogger Tugga, at 5:03 PM  

  • That makes you lucky, to have such a sweet kid too. The kid is happy,then everybody is happy.
    Took my kids to the library to collect their coupons and my older one was thrilled about it, the younger one has no concept of coupon book yet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:44 AM  

  • wow, really..what a nice thing to experience :) so sweet of your kid to say that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 AM  

  • Hey Micheal,
    True what you said about no one being indispensable.
    Kids say the darnest things, and more often than not the truth:-)

    By Blogger Minal, at 11:59 PM  

  • Hmmmm ... you are one lucky duck because you have a straight shooter in your family and he knows how to deal !!!

    By Blogger Amit, at 12:24 PM  

  • Michael, lucky duck?! your kid still thinks he is a lucky duck to have you both... enjoy it while it lasts :))
    on a related note, I recently read a book by Tony Parson's called Man and Boy - a lot of it is about a father bringing up his son alone - and his relationship with his own father... thought of it while I read about what your kid's grandmom told him:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:11 AM  

  • Michael, it is wonderful that he has such a warm relationship with his grandparents. Good for you and lucky for him.

    By Blogger Sujatha Bagal, at 10:02 PM  

  • Hi Ash, Tugga, Rajeshwari, Truman, Minal, @mit, Uma, Charu and Sujatha

    Thanks for your kind comments and I agree that I am the Lucky Duck.

    By Blogger Michael Higgins, at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home